Featured Threads Archive
All currently and previously featured threads.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, July 18, in Benin, released a list of 19 political parties that would participate in the Sept. 10 governorship election in Edo.
The list signed by INEC’s Head of Legal Services, Mr Mathew Ugwuocha, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) also contained the names of candidates being fielded by the parties.
The list contains 19 male governorship candidates, 15 male running mates and four female running mates.
The governorship candidates with female running mates are MrThompson Osadolor, KOWA; Adviser Nowamagbe, UPP;Ishaka Ofemile, AA and Ukonga Frank, NNPP.
The running mates are Nancy Ewemade, AA; Florence Okundaye, KOWA; Okosun Davis, UPP and Emodogo Eweha, NNPP.
Others governorship candidates include Osagie Ize-Iyamu, PDP, with John Yakubu as running mate and Godwin Obaseki, APC, with Philip...
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has raised the alarm about the activities of identity thieves and automated teller machine fraudsters in the country.
It has also urged Nigerians to be more careful when carrying out transactions via ATMs and to avoid disclosing their Personal Identification Numbers to others.
In a post on its Facebook page, the anti-graft agency drew attention to the activity of one suspected ATM fraudster, who goes by the name Akinade Tofunmi.
The EFCC, which has released images of the suspect, is seeking the cooperation and support of Nigerians to capture her and prevent her from defrauding more people.
The suspected scammer, who is being trailed by the Ibadan Zonal Office of the EFCC, is into identity theft and lurks around the ATMs and Point of Sale machines.
According to the EFFC, Tofunmi, operates late in the night when all bank transactions had closed and preferably over the weekend when her prospective victims...
Fresh crisis is rocking the Enugu State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, following the purported suspension of the party’s Vice Chairman in the Enugu East senatorial zone, Chief Anike Nwoga.
Nwoga was reportedly impeached on Sunday for allegedly making some uncomplimentary remarks against the Deputy Senate President, Chief Ike Ekweremadu.
Reacting to the development, the Zonal Organising Secretary of the APC in the zone, Mr Emeka Anike, accused Barr. Ben Nwoye, the State Chairman of the party, of spearheading the impeachment of Nwoga in a meeting he “hurriedly convoyed because Chief Anike berated Senator Ike Ekweremadu.”
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has given condition for the 2016 admissions, saying it will only give approval “after appropriate screening of the candidates by the institutions.”
The Registrar/Chief Executive of JAMB, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, said this in a statement on Sunday.
Ojerinde said, “The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board wishes to state that the latest list of candidates sent to all the tertiary institutions contains candidates who qualified for screening based on the individual institution’s capacity. It’s not in any way an admission list.
“However, if this list is not sufficient for the need of any institution, such institution can source from the omnibus printout earlier sent to them by the board. The public and all tertiary institutions should note that admission will only be approved by the board after appropriate screening of the candidates by the institutions.
“The list, which is made up of candidates, who met the...
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has said bank customers can now open accounts without deposits.
The directive is contained in the Monetary, Credit, Foreign Trade and Exchange Guidelines for Fiscal Years 2016/2017 guidelines posted by the CBN on its website.
Commercial banks usually demanded between N1,000 to N5,000 for savings accounts and N10,000 and above for corporate accounts.
The CBN said the new policy directive was in line with its commitment to encourage banks to improve their deposit mobilisation efforts while promoting the financial inclusion initiative.
“The CBN shall continue to encourage banks to improve their deposit mobilization efforts. In line with the financial inclusion initiative, banks shall be required to allow zero balances for opening new bank accounts so as to make banking services accessible to the unbanked public.
“Accordingly, banks are encouraged to develop new products that would improve access to credit and simplify...
Nigeria’s first indigenous telecommunication company, Globacom has sacked 54 power engineers across the country.
“This serves to inform you that your services are no longer required by Globacom Limited,” content of the sack letter published by The Cable reads.
“Consequently, you are advised to report to the Human Resources Manager, Globacom Manpower Services Limited the outsourcing company, with immediate effect.
“You are also expected to hand over all Company property (including SIM Card, Company ID etc) issued to you during the course of your services with us.
“We wish you all the best in your future endeavours”, it added.
Reacting, one of the affected staff said “I can’t believe it is real; being told my services are no longer required without explicit reason. I am still in shock.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has announced Wednesday, August 17, 2016 as the date for its National Convention.
The party will elect new officers that would take over from the Ahmed Makarfi led National Caretaker Committee during the planned convention.
The announcement was the outcome to a meeting of the expanded caucus of the party which took place in Abuja on Thursday, July 14, 2016.
The party has also named a committee to work out a new zoning arrangements for national offices. It zoned the national chairman to the South having approved presidency for the north.
An 80-year-old man, Pius Enebeli, on Thursday made history by becoming the oldest new wig ever produced by the Nigerian Law School.
Enebeli and 2,217 others, including a daughter of President Muhammadu Buhari, Halima, were called to the Bar at two separate ceremonies held in Abuja on Thursday.
Buhari’s wife, Aisha, was at the morning session, during which her daughter, Halima, who was part of the first batch of 1,132 new wigs, were called to the Bar.
The ceremony was conducted for 1,127 new lawyers during the session, which began at 3pm, on Thursday.
The two ceremonies, which held at the International Conference Centre in Abuja, were presided over by the Chairman of the Body of Benchers, Chief Bandele Aiku.
After performing the Call ceremony for the first batch at about 10.26am, he asked the new lawyers to wear their wigs.
A total of 2,218 new wigs were the successful candidates at the April 2016 and previous Bar Final Examinations of the Nigerian...
Police have arrested three suspected members of a robbery gang that invaded the Anthony Village home of the Publisher of Vanguard Newspapers, Mr. Sam Amuka, last month.
Recall that the bandits also attacked the 81-year-old Publisher with iron rods and other dangerous weapons, at the end of which his mobile phone, electronic gadgets, money and other valuables were stolen.
Although two of the suspects claimed to be from Borno State, while the third said he was a Chadian, police said preliminary investigation revealed that they are all citizens of the Republic of Chad.
The suspects were arrested in Festac and Ajao Estate in Lagos, and Sango Otta in Ogun State.
A Mitsubishi saloon car, with number plates LSD 337 BQ, which they drove on the day of the robbery was also recovered.
They were said to be on the verge of selling the vehicle at a give-away price and flee to Niger Republic, when they were arrested.
Suspected militants have blown up Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, pipelines at Ogijo in Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun State, sending residents of the community scampering for safety after a loud explosion.
Newsmen gathered that the explosion which occurred on Tuesday was believed to be the handywork of suspected militants who disguised as maintenance officials from the NNPC to blow up the gas pipeline around PZ Estate, in the area.
According to source, the residents saw the suspected militants, but did not bother since they pretended to be officials of the NNPC who had come on routine maintenance checks.
But the residents were shocked later at night after the hoodlums had left when a loud explosion occurred, shattering a section of the gas pipeline.
It was gathered that the affected pipeline serve 11.4 distribution line for some companies in Ikorodu in Lagos.
An 82-year-old blind man, Dr. Chuks Osuji, has threatened to die in the rubble of his house, if government carries out its demolition, having been marked ‘remove’ by officials of Owerri Capital Development Authority, OCDA.
The house was marked ‘remove’ by the Imo State Government, which is currently expanding some major roads in Owerri.
The affected roads are MCC/Urrata, Okigwe Road, Orlu Road, Ikenegbu and Egbu/Mbaise Road, allegedly without any form of understanding with property owners.
Osuji told newsmen in Owerri, yesterday, that the state government had yet to show any commitment regarding payment of compensation over pulling down of the building.
He said: “There was no engagement for payment of compensation to me now or in the future. He said that officials of Owerri Capital Development Authority had marked his house ‘remove’.
“I am now a senior citizen with full vision impairment and a national awards recipient; if this my house is pull...
The Chinese Language Council International (HANBAN) and Xiamen University have reportedly donated a Chinese Cultural Research Centre to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK) in Anambra State.
During the opening of the centre last week, the Cultural Attache of the Chinese Embassy in Abuja, Mr. Xiang Dong hailed the university management, saying the centre will strengthen the Nigeria-China relationship.
He said the Confucius Institute established at the university after signing the MoU has improved understanding of Chinese language among young people.
Dong also added that China’s investment in Nigeria would continue to grow, adding that this will aid the development of Nigeria.
Vice Chancellor of UNIZIK, Prof Joseph Ahaneku said the MoU was signed to promote research on China and scholarly exchanges between Nigeria and China. He added that these will include the teaching of Chinese language and culture in the...
Real Madrid and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo is the fourth highest-paid celebrity in the world, according to new figures published by Forbes, Goal reports.
Ronaldo, who recently helped Portugal win Euro 2016, earns a total of £66.2m in salary and sponsorship income, putting him level with American TV star Dr. Phil McGraw.
According to the data, Ronaldo, 31, earns $55m in wages while the rest comes from his several lucrative sponsorship deals with global brands such as Nike, Tag Heuer, Sacoor Brothers suits and Monster headphones.
Ronaldo ranks above Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, who is the eighth highest-paid celebrity and second wealthiest footballer with an income of £61.3m.
The Portugal captain arrived on Wednesday afternoon having celebrated the European Championship win in Lisbon.
A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, yesterday, annulled the increment in electricity tariff recently announced by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC.
Trial judge, Justice Mohammed Idris in his judgment in the suit by a human rights lawyer, Mr. Toluwani Adebiyi, challenging the increment, described NERC’s action as procedurally ultra vires, irrational, irregular and illegal.
In a swift reaction, labour applauded the judgment and asked NERC and DISCOs to immediately respect the ruling, describing it as a “victory for the ordinary Nigerian who had been crushed by exploitative bills.”
These developments came on a day the House of Representatives described the Distribution Companies, DISCOs, as the biggest scam in Nigeria and called on the Federal Government to halt any tariff by 100 per cent in the country
The Federal Road Safety Corps on Wednesday summoned managers of Peace Mass Transit over the spate of road accidents involving the transport company.
It said the firm’s vehicles recorded 11 road accidents between January and June this year, resulting in the death of 37 people with 58 others injured.
According to the Corps Marshal, FRSC, Mr. Boboye Oyeyemi, the development is worrisome, unacceptable and needs to be urgently addressed.
He, therefore, directed the company to present all its drivers and vehicles for recertification and safety audit by the FRSC, while its safety managers must ensure that the speed limiters installed in their vehicles were not tempered with by the drivers.
Boboye, who spoke with the managers at the meeting, attributed the recent spate of crashes involving the company’s vehicles to systematic safety failure.
Between January 2015 and December 2015, eight crashes were recorded by the company’s drivers involving 62 casualties,...
The Rivers State House of Assembly had passed the conversion Bill into Law, and it was accented to by the Governor.
However, the conversion of is generating reactions, especially from the Ogoni people, who expressed fears that the creation of a new poly will distract the State government from improved funding of the Rivers State Polytechnic now, Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic in Bori, the headquarters of Ogoni.
In order to calm the nerves of the Ogoni people, the Wike stated that his administration would work towards the accreditation of all the academic programmes of the Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic.
He also stated that the state government will start with the upgrade of the school’s workshops and laboratories.
The governor explained that the establishment of the Port Harcourt Polytechnic was not an attempt to kill the Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic as being peddled by political opponents.
He said he was interested in the development of Ogoni and other parts of...
The South East Revival Group, SERG, has called on the embattled governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu to respect the rule of law and step aside honourably.
SERG made the call following Ikpeazu’s failure to secure a stay of execution on the ruling of Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja.
Justice Abang had on June 27, 2016 sacked Ikpeazu as governor of the state over tax evasion.
Ikpeazu, however, filed for stay of execution in a bid to stop INEC from issuing Ogah with certificate of return which Justice Abang refused to entertain.
SERG in a statement signed by its National Secretary, Mazi Luis Obioha also urged the heads of security agencies in the country to ensure that Ogah is sworn in as the substantive governor as ordered by the Abuja Federal High Court.
The Federal Ministry of Education on Monday sent a strong-worded statement to Nigerian universities, warning them that only the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) can admit students.
The Director, Press and Public Relations, in the ministry, Mr. Ben Goong, stated that any institution that acted against the directive would have itself to blame.
He denied media reports that the earlier decision to cancel post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) was upturned.
The ministry insisted that universities “had no business admitting candidates other than those sent to it by JAMB but could screen candidates to remove those with anti-social traits and suspicious credentials”.
The federal government said while the ban on post-UTME stayed, screening was only for those admitted by JAMB and limited to examination of credentials and physical examination of candidates to ensure that they are not of questionable characters.
“All these should...
Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) have blown another oil pipeline. The attack was carried out Monday night.
A terse statement announcing the bombing was signed by Brig.Gen Mudoch Agbinibo, NDA spokesperson.
The statement which was seen on NDA website.
It reads: “At about 7:30pm the Niger Delta Avengers blow up ExxonMobil Qua Iboe 48” crude oil export pipeline.
“When will these International Oil companies (IOC) learn to listen. We (Niger Delta Avengers) said no export.”
No reaction from the state government or ExxonMobil yet.
Some gunmen have abducted a director of account in the office of the Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, Thomas Otuyemi, in the Epe area of the state.
it was learnt that Otuyemi, 60, was abducted by the gunmen alongside his son, whose name had yet to be known, on Saturday.
It was gathered that the gunmen, who came from the creeks in the Epe area, took father and son away to an unknown location.
A source at the state government secretariat in Alausa said the abduction got to the knowledge of the government on Sunday.
“Most of us got to know about the abduction on Sunday. The location of the abductors has yet to be known.
Page 1 of 28